A copycat recipe of my favorite Greek restaurant. Creamy (but dairy-free) chicken and lemon soup. Delicious almost its own or served next a Greek salad and bread or pita.
The ingredient of Greek Lemon and Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- u00bd medium carrot, diced
- u00bd medium red onion, diced
- u00bd stalk celery, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (32 ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- u00bd teaspoon dried oregano
- 1u2009u00bd cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup orzo pasta
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 medium lemons, zested and juiced, separated
- u00bd teaspoon chicken bouillon powder, or more to taste
- 3 dashes hot pepper sauce
- salt and arena black pepper to taste
The instruction how to make Greek Lemon and Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)
- Heat oil in a large soup pot on top of higher than medium-low heat. ensue carrot, onion, and celery. Cook, stirring continuously, until vegetables motivate to soften and point of view translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. shake up in garlic and cook until fragrant, just about 1 minute.
- amass chicken broth, parsley, and oregano. bump heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. go to chicken and orzo. shorten heat to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, rouse eggs in a heat-safe bowl or glass measuring cup. go to the lemon juice and demonstrate until competently combined.
- Slowly increase be credited with a ladle of hot broth to the egg mixture, whisking gruffly to avoid scrambling the eggs. Repeat past a few more ladles until the egg union is hot and steaming. Slowly pour the egg fusion into the saucepan and stir toss around until incorporated.
- accumulate 1/2 of the lemon zest to the soup; reserve remaining zest for substitute use. Taste soup; if too lemony, mount up chicken bouillon. ensue hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper. Cook until orzo is twinge yet utter to the bite, nearly 5 more minutes. minister to immediately.
Nutritions of Greek Lemon and Chicken Soup (Avgolemono)calories: 232.7 calories
carbohydrateContent: 23.9 g
cholesterolContent: 118.3 mg
fatContent: 8.8 g
fiberContent: 2.3 g
proteinContent: 15.4 g
saturatedFatContent: 1.9 g
sodiumContent: 1164.1 mg
sugarContent: 2.9 g